Feb 21, 11:11 PM
JAW’s ‘HEARTRACERS / HEARTBREAKERS’ – 2015 Budweiser Duel Edition
Racetrack: Daytona International Speedway
Pole Sitter: Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson
Welcome to Joshua Walker’s ‘HeartRacers / HeartBreakers’. An avid racing fan, Joshua has decided to resurrect ‘HeartRacers/HeartBreakers’, a fun sort of racing critique from CawsnJaws.com’s past. Joshua ‘JAW’ will record his choices of the highlights of races, good and bad, and share them with our readers. He will do this for every Cup race, as well as selected races from other series. Joshua has also decided to include a section dedicated to Jeff Gordon, since this is the last year that this racing superstar will be racing full-time. Joshua hopes you enjoy reading his choices, and welcomes fan comments following his articles.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Dale Jr. proved he had one of the best Daytona cars out there by winning Duel No. 1.
- Jimmie Johnson: Jimmie made it a Hendrick sweep of the duels by winning his duel.
- Mike Wallace: Mike proved again how good he is on restrictor plate tracks by easily making the show in the No. 66 car.
- Clint Bower: Clint was in two wrecks and complained about qualifying. He survived the duel and finished well.
- David Regan: David thought he was out of the 500 with an early wreck. He got the lucky dog and came back to make the 500.
- Ty Dillon: Ty just barely made the 500 by one spot in his rookie debut. He will be looking for top rookie honors in the race.
- The six drivers to miss the show. Jeb Burton, Alex Bowman, Brian Scott, Josh Wise, Justin Marks, and Ron Hornaday Jr.: These six drivers missed the show by having problems and accidents in their duel races.
- Danica Patrick: Danica was wrecked by Denny Hamlin twice in two days resulting on Danica barley making the show. She might not even be able to use her back up car for the race. She might have to go to a third car shipped from SHR to the track just to compete on Sunday.
- Casey Mears: Casey lost an engine and just barely got into the race. He lost his 500 motor so he will have to start last on Sunday.
- Trevor Bayne: Trevor wrecked in his duel in his Roush Cup debut. He and his team will be starting the year off in a hole.
- Bobby Labonte: Like Clint Bowyer, Bobby had already crashed his primary car in qualifying and then crashed his backup in his duel. He only made the race because of his past champions’ provisional.
- Sam Hornish Jr.: Sam crashed in his duel and has to go to a backup car for the 500 in his RPM debut.
JEFF GORDON – SPECIAL SECTION
- Jeff Gordon finished second in his duel and will start on pole for Sunday’s race.
- Jeff Gordon didn’t win his last duel race of his career.